Wednesday, April 02, 2008

New Twist on a Nigerian Scam

The other day, I received a Yahoo instant message from a person claiming to be Nancy Gilbert, an AFRA member from South Carolina. Nancy and I had at one point worked quite closely together, so I was glad to hear from her.

She claimed to be stuck in Nigeria, with no money to get home. She said she would email me the hotel information so I could wire the money. Feeling a bit odd about this, I did a trace on the email and found it had been sent from Israel. Hmmmm.

The next time I heard from her on IM, I asked a questions that only Nancy would know the answer to.... BUSTED.

I've done some research and this seems to be somewhat common. I have not been able to get hold of Nancy, but I noticed a posting to one of the groups from her account asking for money.

This is not Nancy...Do not send this person money.


More to come....
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...